19 June 2009

How To Stop A Conversation


I wear earplug speakers on long rides. They reduce noise and let me listen to the radio and hear GPS directions.

The audiologist who sold them to me aadvised me to put a drop of KY in each ear so the plugs would slide in better.

We stopped at a Flying J truck stop yesterday for a quick pee break, a tank of gas and cup of coffee. As we were getting ready to leave, a couple of guys wandered over to jabber for a while. Without pausing to think, I dug the KY put of the tank bag, opened it, put a drop on my right index finger and stuck it in my right ear. Then I put a drop on my left index finger and stuck my finger in my left ear.

Then I noticed that they had stopped talking and were staring at me. I explained "my ear doctor told me to do this".

They walked away, mumbling to each other. And snickering.

9 comments:

  1. The audiologist who sold them to me to put a drop of KY in each ear so the plugs would slide in better.

    Is that an age-onset thing? I'm just about ready for bifocals myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They walked away, mumbling to each other.

    "mumble...mumble... ear doctor..."

    "yeah... mumble... mumble... can ya hear me now?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm enjoying your ride as much as you. Keep up the posting. It makes a great souvenir for later, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If that's your story then stick to it!

    Be safe out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you married?

    Why not put a drop directly on each plug?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should have asked them to spit in each ear instead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hee hee. Love your travel blogging! And you were in Sioux Falls? I used to live there! Beautiful.

    We miss you on Twitter, but this is so cool. Have a great time, you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. Not one "aural sex" joke in 8 comments?

    ReplyDelete

Add to the topic and be entertaining. No trolling, insults or spamming.